12.02.2008

Best Ever Banana Cake

Best Ever Banana Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting-
This is by far the best Banana Cake I have ever tasted. I would recommend anyone who loves banana cake or banana bread give it a try.

This is so good. I thought the oven temp was a little low, but this cake baked up beautifully. I don't know if the little freezer trick to this recipe is what ensured its moistness or not, but I did it, and this cake was exceptionally moist and mmmmmmm..... mmmmmm.... delicious. I followed the directions exactly as stated and got exceptional results. I threw this baby in the fridge and took it to Thanksgiving the next day.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe

2 teaspoons lemon juice

3 cups flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup butter, softened

2 1/8 cups sugar

3 large eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Frosting:

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla

3 1/2 cups icing sugar

Garnish:

chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 275 degrees

Grease and flour a 9x13 pan

In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside

In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside

In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy

Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla

Beat in the flour mixture alternating with the buttermilk

Stir in banana mixture

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean

Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist

For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth

Beat in 1 tsp vanilla

Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth

Spread on cooled cake

Sprinkle chopped walnuts over top of the frosting

* Next time I make this I am going to add nuts to the cake also.

I hope you enjoy this recipe. I don't do much cooking as most of you know. That is my story and I am sticking to it. I don't want to ruin my reputation !


2 comments:

Lena said...

This recipe sounds wonderful, and like one that my dad would really love. His mom used to make a wonderful banana cake, and this reminds me of her. Thank you for posting it, and for your kind comment on my blog.

Best wishes!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Oooooo! That cake looks good. I might have to try that recipe. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog, Cindy. -_Susan