1.27.2009

Happy Chinese New Year



Monday was China's New Year.

Spring Festival- as it is sometimes referred to.
This year- is the year of the Ox.












Last year we had a celebration of the New Year at Rick and Jennifer's. Unknown to us, Little Missy (Malia) was only a little over a month old. This year I had a deeper appreciation for the Chinese people and a better understanding of the 'people' of China. I don't mean the people of the government. I mean the everyday people who struggle to make a living, feed and clothe their families, to try and provide a better tomorrow for their children. Their way of living is much different than ours. They hold onto ancient beliefs and tradition. It has been passed down from generation to generation.
Rick stopped by our house this week. We were talking about China. Nanchang in particular. I miss Nanchang. It was probably my favorite place that we visited. Not only because of the connection that it represented for Malia, but also for the people and their ways of living. It is not as modernized as other cities. Even though I got really really tired of eating their food, I miss it too.

I miss the families that became a part of our family for 18 days.

I miss that loud- continually honking- no rules traffic- that went day and night intertwined with the firecrackers continuous popping

I miss watching the people of Nanchang in their everyday lives

I miss that laundry that Peggy and I were so amused at watching daily. I miss looking out of our hotel window at the millions of people-trying to live amongst such poverty
I miss the excitement we shared with our new family of friends on Gotcha Day
I miss watching our son and daughter-in-law as they progressed through the endless chore of paperwork
I miss seeing the sites and history of the area where Malia was born and her China family lives

I miss watching our new friends interact with the newest members of their families.

Mommy and Miss Malia

I miss the fun and the 'trouble' the grandmas got into, and my favorite roomie!

Hopefully some day I will be able to return to Nanchang. If not, then I hope Malia and her family will return and enjoy it with me and Peggy in mind. It was a much appreciated experience that will forever be in a corner of my heart. I thank Rick, Jennifer and Spencer for allowing me and my room buddy to accompany them to meet a little girl that will always be loved and treasured in our hearts.

Happy Chinese New Year....

2 comments:

Patty H. said...

Hi, Cindy. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a sweet comment.
Your blog is very nice and you have a beautiful family.
Blessings

Anonymous said...

Can you believe it's been 3 months since we were in China? Wow, time flies! We are very fortunate to have had the opportunity to experience that trip. We were certainly an added bonus to all who got to know us (even some who didn't know us)! :) Thanks for being my room buddy for the 2 weeks so we could afford to go. Your pictures are GREAT~
Love & hugs,
Peggy